Fairtrade Chocolate Chip, Gluten free Banana bread - good for the soul and the world
During these cold winter months you can usually find us baking on the weekends. Chocolate Chip banana bread has become one of favorites - everyone loves it and it's good for breakfast or a snack. I usually make two loaves - one to eat fresh from the over and one to pop-in the freezer for later in the week. My little sister adapted this recipe to make it a bit healthier and a bit fair-er - Thanks Britt! (see below the reason for fairtrade chocolate and bananas!)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed - organic and fair trade if possible
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c flour - We used Bob's 1 to 1 Gluten Free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped *if desired
- 1/2 cup fairtrade chocolate chips (we got ours here)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan.
- In a small bowl mix milk and vinegar. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add bananas, vanilla, and milk mixture to butter and beat for 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, powder and soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet and beat just until all of the flour is moistened.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts (if desired)
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean.
- Slide a knife around the outer edge of the loaf to loosen bread.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully.
Recipe adapted from : Hell Yeah It's Vegan
Like most industries, the food and agriculture industry can be full of human rights abuses and unfair labor practices, so whenever possible we look to buy locally grown, fairtrade, from small farmers and co-ops.
A few quick Resources:
Documentary: The Dark Side of Chocolate - Investigating the exploitations and child labor in the banana industry
Documentary: Bananas - Investigating Dole’s use of dangerous pesticides on their plantations
Articles and stories: The Freedom Project by CNN,
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.